Monday, September 10, 2007

What is the truth about Paul Williams?

A name which has gained considerable national recognition due in large part to the Michael Savage program is that of Paul Williams. Williams is someone who, when appearing as a guest on The Savage Nation, a nationally syndicated radio broadcast, has attracted great interest.

Indeed Williams with the publicity provided by Savage has gained much praise and admiration from many. Included among those admirers I list myself. So, when I open an e-mail and read something which asks if I know who the real Paul Williams is, I simply find myself looking for the old investigatory writer’s hat.

So, having dusted off the hat I reply in order to learn more about Mr. Williams. And soon enough I have a story submitted from someone who appears to know much about Williams that the average blogger might not have access to.

And now I ask myself, do I go with this story. Not being one who believes in censorship in most instances, I believe that it is not only fair to give a venue to this story but possibly important that I do so.

And in consideration that the author of the story claims to have not been able to address these issues with Savage on his radio broadcast I am hopeful that Savage, who I believe reads many blogs which contain reference to him will see this article and take the opportunity to get in contact with the author of the following journalistic expose’ so that he might arrange to interview the author.

As Snake Oil Sam is a resident of the geographic region in which the author worked with Williams I find it a little more than interesting. But a good story is a good story no matter what part of the country it originated in.

I just wonder if this story might be picked up by the mainstream press due to the things stated herein. If it does in fact gain any recognition I Snake Oil Sam take full credit for uncovering the story.

If on the other hand this article makes any wise guys really mad, something which I seem to have developed a knack for lately, I blame it all on the author of the story. As he writes in his own words, “As for the veracity of my story, I know full well the lawsuit I risk from Williams if any of it isn't true. I am an eyewitness to most everything I detailed. There are others who can back me up, most notably Larry Sparano, who is now a news anchor at the Fox affiliate in Binghamton, NY.”

Having said all of that, I will now present for your consideration the story which I received from the author in his own words.

The Truth about Paul Williams
Written by Gary Cangemi

I don’t know how much longer I can take hearing Paul Williams being touted as an anti-terrorist hero, while real heroes are fighting and dying to keep our nation safe with no more reward than their army pay and the gratitude of those of us who support the war on terror. It also sickens me to see so many people sending their hard-earned money to the “P.T. Barnum of Journalism” who suddenly finds himself on the receiving end of a lawsuit as a result of his reckless style of journalism. This man is no hero. In my experienced opinion, Paul Williams is a journalistic fraud who (is) deserving of neither sympathy nor our cash.

Who the hell am I? My name is Gary Cangemi, a self employed freelance graphic artist and cartoonist, who once worked with Williams on the Scranton weekly newspaper, The Metro, which was published by the Scranton Cultural Society, a non-profit organization founded and run by Williams. When I first met and worked with Paul, I was taken in as was everyone else by his apparent sincerity, his articulate persona, and his seeming dedication to publishing a newspaper that told the truth about Scranton, Pennsylvania and the corrupt political machinery that ran it. The staff included myself as editorial writer and cartoonist, local TV CBS affiliate anchorman Larry Sparano, a contributing writer, Paul Ferraro, an environmental writer, Mitch Grochowski, investigative writer, and many others, all working freelance for the weekly tabloid. We all worked hard with little pay to try to make The Metro a success and an alternative source of news and information.

The Metro, however, was beset with financial problems because of the efforts of a frequent target of our stories…Louis DeNaples, the local landfill operator, a billionaire and convicted felon, with alleged ties to organized crime, according to annual reports by the Pennsylvania Crime Commission. Larry Sparano took a particular interest in deNaples, and did a series of investigative reports on him, which eventually cost Larry his TV job weeks after DeNaples threatened him with unemployment. Because many local businesses do business with DeNaples, they refused to advertise in The Metro and pressured others not to advertise as well. This could have been Paul Williams shining moment as a crusading journalist fighting the billionaire landfill boss as head of a small town paper. Instead, Williams revealed his true colors and went, hat-in-hand, to see DeNaples and asked him to help the Metro with advertising and to use his influence in securing other advertisers. In exchange, Williams decided not run any more negative stories about DeNaples. This was confirmed when Paul refused to run a story by Sparano about a criminal investigation into DeNaples’ son, who was being investigated for allegedly discharging a firearm in public. When I confronted Williams with the incident, he was adamant that he would run no more negative stories about DeNaples because the paper needed advertisers to stay afloat.

The final straw came when Williams assigned environmental writer Paul Ferraro to do a story on DeNaple’s landfill. Ferraro took a tour of the facility and wrote what he felt was a fair and balanced piece, with both positive and negative points. He turned the story in, I read it, and agreed it was a fair story and told Williams so. Then the phone rang and I answered it. It was Louis DeNaples asking for Williams. Apparently Williams had faxed a copy of the story to DeNaples for HIS APPROVAL! DeNaples then dictated edits to the story over the phone and Paul Williams, defender of the truth, compliantly began striking the negative items from the story. I could not believe my eyes. After that incident, Sparano, Ferraro, and I all quit the paper. Paul Williams, unapologetic, stated he was tired of operating the paper at a loss and that DeNaples had promised to deliver advertisers to the paper.

A couple of years later, Paul Williams wanted to sell the paper, but he didn’t want certain shareholders to benefit from the sale, namely me, a 5% owner. The Metro was incorporated under Metro News Inc. Paul created a dummy company called Metro Syndicate Inc. which he sold to a Pittston businessman, then transferred the assets of Metro News to Metro Syndicate, leaving Metro News an empty shell and worthless on paper.

Williams continued to work for The Metro for a while then left. Later, I learned that the Metro, under its new management was used as a 3 million dollar money-laundering enterprise. I don’t know if Williams was still associated with the paper at that point, but I doubt it. Williams may lack integrity, but I don’t believe he is a criminal.

Now Williams is passing himself off as a terrorism expert and an FBI consultant or informant, giving people the impression that he currently consults with the FBI on terrorism. I neither know of nor ever heard Paul Williams state that he is actively consulting with the FBI on terrorism. He is more than likely using the label from his pre-911 discussions with local FBI agents on organized crime in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Paul should know. He sold his beloved weapon of truth The Metro to people who used it as a three million dollar laundry for profits from prostitution and drugs! But what are his credentials as an expert on terrorism? What training has he received? What special work has he done in the field that would qualify him as an expert? By his own admission, anyone could have done his book research with “a telephone, a computer and a library card.” Paul Williams is relishing all this media attention, knowing full well he has everyone completely sold on his status as an "expert" on international terrorism. Well, not everyone.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not against the intent of Paul’s books. I’m sure much of what he has written is true because he probably got it from some reliable internet sources. I am a political conservative and fully support the war on terror, but I wouldn’t spend a red cent on anything Williams wrote because the man has proven that he has no journalistic integrity. This is a man who once bragged to me that he had the ability to write movie reviews without ever having seen the films. This is a man who betrayed honest journalists who dedicated themselves to his newspaper by selling out to the local “Boss Tweed.” Whatever trouble Paul Williams is in as a result of his book, I believe is probably of his own making. Why should honest hard-working Americans run to this man’s aid, just because he claims to be an expert on terrorism? Do yourselves a favor and DO NOT contribute to the Paul Williams Defense Fund. Trust me, he’s laughing all the way to the bank. Send your money instead to UNICO or some other organization which supports our veterans…THE REAL ANTI-TERRORISM HEROES!

By the way, for the very brief period that Paul Williams was a newspaper man, very few people read his work. The Metro was a small 28 page tabloid weekly with a paid subscriber base under 10,000 compared to the local daily which had a readership of over 100,000. His claims of being a “seasoned and award winning journalist” are highly inflated when compared to noted national career journalists.
End Article
Editors Note: I have been briefly discussing a few issues with David W.T. Carroll, esq. the attorney in charge of Dr. Paul Williams’s defense fund. In regard to comments which Gary Cangemi made in his writing on Dr. Williams, I feel that it is necessary that I add this note for the consideration of anyone who might read this article.

Even though it is my opinion basing it upon Cangemi’s view, “a lawsuit as a result of his reckless style of journalism” that Williams got himself into hot water by a reckless approach to his reporting, that Cangemi was suggesting that Williams is laughing all the way to the bank in that others would help him with financial aid to get him out of something which Williams had managed to have gotten himself into.

I don’t believe that Cangemi was alluding to the fact that Williams or Carrol were using the donations to the
defense fund in an improper way. It is clearly being used for the purpose for which it is intended. In any event I offer my apology to Dr. Williams and Attorney Carroll for any possible misunderstanding that he was being impugned about his integrity in overseeing the fund.

In addition I offer Dr. Williams opportunity to state his position on the comments made by Gary Cangemi.

If Michael Savage would like to contact Gary Cangemi in order to interview him he can do so by e-mail at Cangemi’s e-mail. If in fact Mr. Williams wishes to make any reasonable response to the comments of Mr. Cangemi I would gladly post any thoughts or rebuttal that he might offer. Simply send any comments to me at the Contact Snake Oil Sam link at the end of this article.

Anyone who after reading the Cangemi article wishing to offer an opinion is also welcome to contact me or for that matter direct it to
Mr. Cangemmi if you are so inclined. I would like to thank Gary Cangemmi for giving me the opportunity to allow his story to be told.
Addendum: Gary Cangemi is a nationally syndicated pro life cartoonist and creative genius of Umbert the Unborn. To learn more go to the official Umbert website.
Addendum: Here is a comment submitted by environmental reporter Paul Ferraro in regard to comments made by Gary Cangemi.

I am Paul Ferraro, the free lance environmental reporter alluded to in the Cangemi article. The incident noted in Cangemi's article concerning Paul Williams editing a story I wrote on Louis DeNaple's landfill is correct.
Freedom of Speech or Death
Snake Oil Sam
Snake Oil Sam Internet Media Publishing © 2007
Legal Defense Disclaimer
Contact Snake Oil Sam

Editors Note: Anyone wishing to express an opinion on this blog “Snake Oil Sam’s Radio Review” is welcome to submit it for consideration through the Contact Snake Oil Sam e-mail link located at the end of each article! The publisher assumes no responsibility for the content or opinion of submissions and might or might not agree with the content of comment.

amazing counters

Get Vitamins